Japan Video Games Blog

TO THOSE WHO DON'T WANT THEIR WORK PROMOTED

Hey guys and gals! We FIND and PROMOTE people's work, we never take credit for things we haven't written, we just love sharing the things that are interesting, but if you don't want your work or pictures shown, please let me know and I'll take it off, we're not trying to harm any one here or infringe on anyone's copyrights, just late night entertainment for my friends and I after a long days of work.

We're not making money off the site, nor are we publishing anything to other places through feedburner claiming that it's our work, just a hobby of finding cool things around the internet, that's all. Sometimes we copy and paste too quickly and a link giving you credit doesn't appear, if that's the case and you DO want your work promoted, we will add in the backlink, we would love to give credit where credit is due!

Please contact me or drop a comment on any posts you guys don't want up and I'll take it off within 24 hours, thanks!

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The $100-A-Day-Rule Prevents Impulse Buying

I like stuff - gadgets, gizmos, and thingamajigs. I also like saving money. So, I’ve created the $100-A-Day-Rule.

For every $100 that I want to spend on the purchase of a new product, I must wait one day before I make the purchase. This creates a self-imposed ‘cooling-off’ period.

If a new gadget costs $100, I have to wait one day until I can purchase the gadget.

If a new gizmo costs $400, I have to wait four days until I can purchase the gizmo.

If a new thingamajig costs $1400, I have to wait two weeks until I can purchase the thingamajig.

I tend to live ‘in-the-moment’, which is just a fancy way to say, I like to impulse buy. In the past, when I wanted something, I just went out and bought it. And, in the past, I’d be stuck with payments, long after the desire for the product had gone away. I once purchased a video game console - because a good buddy had one - and I don’t even like video games. I used my credit card, bought the console, played a few games of Madden, and then never touched it again. A $250 gaming console sat, unused, in my entertainment center, for three years.

Now, when I want something, I use the $100-A-Day-Rule. I spend time researching, looking for cheaper alternatives, and deciding if I really want the item.

Since implementing the $100-A-Day-Rule, I have seen a dramatic reduction in the number of things that I actually want to buy. In fact, in most cases, once I leave the store and get home, I forget why I ever wanted a particular item in the first place. But, if I do find that I still want a particular item, I have built-in system which allows me to take time to do some research and find the item at an affordable price.

At $100-a-day, it would take about 3 1/2 months to decide on whether or not to purchase a $10,000 automobile. 3 1/2 months is long time to ‘cool off’ from ‘new-car fever’. Imagine if every person, when they went to the lot to purchase a new car, were required to wait 3 1/2 months before they could make a purchase? Might we see some dramatic changes in shopping/buying habits?

Side note: As the numbers move higher and higher, the cooling-off period grows longer and longer. There is a point at which the length of time gets a bit ridiculous - shopping 2.5 years for a $200,000 home might drive anyone crazy. So, I’ve capped my cooling-off period at 6 months. If I want/need an expensive item, and I’ve shopped for it for six months, and if it’s in our budget, I go ahead and purchase it.

Here are a few recent examples of how using the $100-A-Day-Rule worked for me:

Wanted: $500 set of golf clubs. Waited: 5 days, purchased a different set for under $300.

Wanted: $1,400 lawn mower. Waited: 14 days, decided not to purchase but to look for alternatives.

Wanted: $1000 HDTV. Waited: 10 days, decided I needed more information, waited additional 2 months, purchased similar HDTV for under $900.

Wanted: $400 driver to match new clubs. Waited: 4 days, decided that my golf game does not merit the purchase of a $400 driver. Heck, my golf game does not merit the purchase of a $40 driver!

Want: A new laptop. Waiting: 10 days, and counting. I want/need a new laptop, so I am spending some time, looking for a good deal on a new laptop. I can’t decide if I want to spend $400 on a cheap model or $1500 on a better system, so I’m using the higher price as my guide and looking at all options.

Final notes: I have found that the MORE I want an item, the LONGER the cooling off period needs to be. I never want to be in the position where I am making a purchase, based on my emotions. So, if I really, really, really want something, I double the time that I have to wait, and then I make my purchase.

Edit: I want to thank JD over at Get Rich Slowly for sharing the story of Joshua, one of his readers, and how Joshua used this technique to avoid a an impulse purchase.

If you find this article to be helpful, please Stumble It and spread the word.

The $100-A-Day-Rule Prevents Impulse Buying
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Marc and Angel Hack Life

Self Improvement

Personal Development with The Positivity Blog

HowStuffWorks: Health Daily RSS Feed

PickTheBrain | Smarter Self Improvement

I will change your life . com